Wednesday, April 13, 2005

TV cameras and the Stitch & Bitch

With knitting wooing young people far and wide, our illustrious news media has taken notice. Robin Hamilton, from the local UPN 38 Morning Show is taping a segment at the MIT Stitch and Bitch group tomorrow. Not surprisingly, most people in the group have no interest in being on camera, myself included. Even though I helped the producer connect with the group, I'm not terribly excited about the story. I imagine it will go something like this:

Young women everywhere are picking up needles and proving that knitting isn't just for Gramma. We are here today with the MIT Stitch and Bitch, a group of MIT students and emloyees who gather to share knitting secrets and chat about their bosses. With clicking noises all around, these young women rely on each other for social support, swapping stories of inconsiderate husbands and testy toddlers. We are joined by Little Missy, who says she's been knitting for just over a year.

Little Missy, can you tell us who taught you to knit?

-Well, my boyfriend, actually.-

Fascinating. What is it about knitting that interests you?

-I'm a creative person, which I express in my knitting. And I am very proud of my ability to create a beautiful piece of wearable art from yarn and a couple of sticks.-

Hmmm, yes. That does sound delightful. I'd bet that your boyfriend loves getting handmade sweaters from you.

-Actually, he usually makes sweaters for me.-

Ok...are the MIT Stitch and Bitch girls working on a double-helix scarf?

-Ummm, no. Actually most people are knitting socks right now.-

Well, thank you Little Missy for sharing your experience with us. Good luck with your double-helix scarf.


I guess we'll see how it turns out. Stay tuned...

No comments: