Thursday, July 06, 2006

Entitlement, my ass

1) These four people are hypocritical assholes.
I'm so pissed, my head is about to explode.
The state's four Catholic bishops issued a statement, dated Friday, saying that the push for same-sex marriage stems from "an exaggerated sense of entitlement."

The bishops said the proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage "is not extreme, bigoted, or religiously sectarian" but "reflects the deeply rooted consensus in our society about what marriage is."

"In our society, every person has the civil right to marry, but no person should have the right to tailor the institution of marriage to his or her personal wants," the bishops' statement said. "An exaggerated sense of entitlement is eroding the right of society to have a strong institution of marriage."
[italics, mine] Via the Boston Globe. The rest of the article is great. Special thanks to the business leaders who signed the ad in support of marriage equality!

Hey queers ... Do you feel entitled by:
- The legal obstacles (read: crazy-making delays and fees) to your inter-state adoption?
- For the legal obstacles to your co-parent adoption?
- How about for getting "dyke" yelled at you from a moving vehicle?
- Or perhaps for discrimination you face on the job?
- Or for 3 out of 4 of your neighbors with children under 5 refusing to invite your child over for playdates?
- For paying taxes on the health care benefits that cover your partner?
- Or being asked if your husband would be interested in changing your long distance provider?
Nope ... me neither.

2) Mom - this is why I don't live in NY anymore.

Top NY Court Rules Against Gay Marriage. Thankfully the NYS legislators can still enact marriage rights. NYS legislators - please fix this. Please?

It's a hard day to be gay.

14 comments:

wenders said...

Blows. My. Mind. Don't we have bigger, better things to worry about than if people love each other and their kids? And aren't THEY tailoring marriage by saying it's not something that could 'fit' everyone?

carrym said...

Amen sister! I get so tired some days...it really shouldn't be this hard to parent, work or love...

Don't they realize just how boring and not so freaky we really are??!! ;)

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

And people wonder why I really loathe going back to the Roman Catholic Church in New England. Interestingly enough, I consider myself a part of my sister's parish in Virginia. At least they are more open-minded than here. (SIGH). Just my 2-cents...
=:8

Anonymous said...

Bad news in Georgia as well. I'll be waking early on Wednesday to rally with the Religous Coalition for the Freedom to Marry and MassEquality in front of the statehouse.

Beth S. said...

That sucks. :-(

Emily said...

Sigh. I wish you lived next door to me.

Not that that would fix anything.....but our kids could play together while we knit on the patio......

Keep up the good work.

BerkeleyBecca said...

I'm sad today. I actually let myself hope that New York would come through.

Thorny said...

Damn right the push for gay marriage is people trying to tailor the big-whup "institution of marriage" to suit their own desires. What the hell does this guy think all us apparently-straight folks are doing?

Or is he saying that everyone should return to his religion's idea of "traditional marriage", meaning tomorrow night I'll be washing my husband's feet and waiting to eat dinner until he's finished? (Sh-yah, right!)

Also, if he wants to talk "sense of entitlement", I'll just need a few hours' notice so I can dash out and take some pictures of the quasi-mansions these bishops with their "vows of poverty" are living in. I'd like to sing up for that kind of "poverty", too, please. My kind is sorta blowing goats right about now.

Jerkwads.

JohnK said...

I'm feeling crazed by all of this too. And I moved from MA to NYState.

belledame222 said...

*deep sigh*

Knitty Cat said...

That's it, Im moving to Canada.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I don't know what to say ... only that I feel deep inside that things shouldn't be this way. There are so many other things those people could be concerned about. I'm straight and even I'm at a lost to what they're saying ... their double talk is excruciating.

reasonably prudent poet said...

i've been depressed about this same exact junk for two weeks now. why don't we stage a big, queer boycott, similar to what immigrants were doing? we could have a "we won't go to work" day so the rest of the country can see how valueable we are. don't you think?

Anonymous said...

I don't see how marriage can be defined as a right when it is not even mentioned in the Constitution. Unless established as a right by statute (i.e. the state statute declares it to be a right) it is simply a civil institution governed by statute, providing for certain entitlements to persons meeting the statute's criteria.