I'm so pissed, my head is about to explode.
The state's four Catholic bishops issued a statement, dated Friday, saying that the push for same-sex marriage stems from "an exaggerated sense of entitlement."[italics, mine] Via the Boston Globe. The rest of the article is great. Special thanks to the business leaders who signed the ad in support of marriage equality!
The bishops said the proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage "is not extreme, bigoted, or religiously sectarian" but "reflects the deeply rooted consensus in our society about what marriage is."
"In our society, every person has the civil right to marry, but no person should have the right to tailor the institution of marriage to his or her personal wants," the bishops' statement said. "An exaggerated sense of entitlement is eroding the right of society to have a strong institution of marriage."
Hey queers ... Do you feel entitled by:
- The legal obstacles (read: crazy-making delays and fees) to your inter-state adoption?
- For the legal obstacles to your co-parent adoption?
- How about for getting "dyke" yelled at you from a moving vehicle?
- Or perhaps for discrimination you face on the job?
- Or for 3 out of 4 of your neighbors with children under 5 refusing to invite your child over for playdates?
- For paying taxes on the health care benefits that cover your partner?
- Or being asked if your husband would be interested in changing your long distance provider?
Nope ... me neither.
2) Mom - this is why I don't live in NY anymore.
Top NY Court Rules Against Gay Marriage. Thankfully the NYS legislators can still enact marriage rights. NYS legislators - please fix this. Please?
It's a hard day to be gay.