Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Arwen mods

While playing with the wee one and beating on Ms. 1890, I managed to knit a stitch or two on the Arwen cardigan. The back is entirely finished, and represents an alarming amount of fabric. [am I really that big back there?]

Then I started the left front, knit about 6 rows beyond the hem line and decided I didn't like it. See how the bottom edge of the cable panel is all wavy, perhaps even scallopy?


Me no likey.

So I ripped back to the purl hem turning line, and tried something else. If anyone is interested, here's what I did:

On the RS, knit to the end of the row, and without turning, use a purling-on cast on. It's very similar to knitting-on, only you purl the stitches instead of knitting them. Apparently I unvented a Lily Chin trick, which was broadcast on an episode of Knitty Gritty that I just discovered via the magic of Google. Who knew?

Anyway ... you purl-on the 26 sts that create the cable panel, then do two rows of seed stitch before doing the cable set-up row. See?


Better.

But, I'm still not 100% thrilled with the one row difference between the hem line and the beginning of the cable panel, but I'll probably just ignore that. If I felt like starting over again, I might cast on at the end of the hem turning row and see if it lines up perfectly. Hmmmm...


* special thanks to hand model and camera 'ho Danielle

* x-posted at Arwen KAL blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your fix was a great idea and looking good to me. See ya at SnB today? I'll have red in my hands ... and scarfing on the brain. See ya there.