Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving

In my eternal quest to be just like Cate, I've taken to living in one room.

I repaired the living room ceiling, but despite my best seriously-pissed-off-consumer routine, had zero success at convincing Buck that it might just be his fault(gasp). Meanwhile, after my complaint that the upstairs floors felt like sandpaper, he decided to repair them, starting Sunday. After no Buck sighting on Sunday, Wifey called. Buck was watching football "very busy with 6 other jobs" and pledged to complete the floors on Tuesday.

90% of our possessions were moved into TWO rooms of the new house this weekend, with huge thanks to Wifey's tireless family. The piles completely fill the two rooms, floor to ceiling.

Our apartment now contains a mattress, the computer, some clothes, some food, and a couple totally random piles that are destined for a cardboard containment system.

On Thursday evening, we'll move those final items into the living room of the new house, where we'll be sleeping (in ONE room) until the 2nd floor polyurethane is dry, and I can hoist the bedroom furniture up the stairs. Note: Wifey is 7 months surro-pregnant, and Little Man is 3-1/2, so neither will be much help in moving furniture up the stairs.

Wait ... wait ... it gets better.

The refriderator arrives on Thursday, but the outlet needs updating and I haven't secured an electrician, despite a couple days of calling. The stove arrives on Sunday, but I can't find a plumber with an opening until the end of next week. We have to keep the heat off because the radiators downstairs are spewing steam trying to ruin my ceilings, and we have to wait for the plumber to fix those. So the refride will end up in some totally random polarized location in our house, we'll cook exclusively in the crockpot, microwave and electric kettle, and we'll cuddle for warmth.

Seriously -- I'm quiting my job and becoming an electrician. Become a plumber? No thanks, it's too yucky. But electricians make serious bank, and are clearly in short supply.

In the midst of all this, I try to remember that I'm so frustrated because I'm oridinarily so privileged. Many people in our world would feel blessed in my situation. In the spirit of thankgiving, my love goes out to my incredible family, friends and community, and my appreciation goes out to a roof over my head, clean water to drink, health, a job, and leftover turkey sandwiches.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait, we're keeping the heat off?! is that a good idea?

carrym said...

Yikes!!! Somehow bloglines hasn't been keeping up with you and I just did...

You have put in SO MUCH F*&#King much work into it!!!

(good job though...I'm impressed by your hard work)

maryse said...

it's true. when you compare what we have with most in the world, we really are blessed.

Stacy said...

Ain't homeownin' fun?!

Seriously, I often try to rationalize that at least we have a roof over our heads and yada yada yada. We are very privileged, but it doesn't always ease the stress and anger.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear.

Rhys and I have pledged that, from now one, whenever one of us utters the phrase "It'll suck but..." We take one big step back and do something else.

After this, I recommend you do the same. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. Seriously, I don't have a lot of free time or anything, but feel free to call/text/etc. if you need anything. (And hey, I thought being Cate when I grow up was MY eternal quest!)

Beth S. said...

Ay yi yi! Aren't you glad now that you're a knitter? You guys can huddle among the wool for warmth. ;-) But seriously... ugh.

Let "This too shall pass" become your new mantra (instead of "I'm gonna kill Buck", which will only land you in jail, you know.)

Anonymous said...

It will get better. And just think of all the wonderful stories you will be able to share, AND laugh at, in the years to come.

Would it help if we knitted Miss 1890 a felted radiator cozy? What's her favorite color?

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Hey there. Why not call on the troops? I would be happy to come up to help you all out. In fact, I can bring over some birthday wine and yarn to knit!! Oh, and I guess that my tools would help too.
=:8

Anonymous said...

Houses. Fantastic to have, great investment, lovely to know you own, but oh my word do they suck in time, effort and money.

I feel for you. But you will get there, and it will be a total triumph in the end...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I regret my choice to go to law school, instead of some sort of vocational trade -- my son is training in high school to be an HVAC technician, and he'll make more $$ right off the bat than most college grads. Living in one room sucks, but just think of the payoff in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

In the words of Winston Churchill, "If you are going through hell, keep going." And I love your sentiments about your current misery as a hazard of privilege.

Anonymous said...

hey- just got your message last night- asked my dad about electricians/plumbers- and no luck on the electric, but he said his plumbers are kannan and pricone, out of methuen. he said ask for billy.

it's all gonna come together!

Anonymous said...

hey- just got your message last night- asked my dad about electricians/plumbers- and no luck on the electric, but he said his plumbers are kannan and pricone, out of methuen. he said ask for billy.

it's all gonna come together!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Did you smudge? Seriously. As soon as the floors dry, do it. Then everything will come together. Keeping a positive attitude helps. It'll get better. And can't you keep the heat on LOW?

They're talking snow on Monday...

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about all the house troubles. I have 2 things to offer: 1) I can probably help move some things on Saturday afternoon if you want. 2) I have a good plumber - when I go home I'll get you the number.

Bostonworkerbee said...

oof! (noise one makes, when one has been punched in the stomach, or dealt with a homeowner issue). Eventually, these problems will be solved, and the paini will start to fade...

hang in there!

Hannah said...

um...welcome to home ownership...?