Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Finished Tea Set


Little Missy Grace had her 2nd birthday party this weekend, and after slaving over this project for weeks, I was able to hand it off. I followed the directions for the Fiesta Tea Set almost to the letter. The directions for the tea set were excellent. However, this strange little placemat was a pain in the ass. First of all, there was no picture of the placemat in the pattern instructions, so I didn't know if I'd like it at all. Then, after working through the fair isle (my first stab at fair isle, by the way), I discovered that the entire piece measured abut 3 inches wide. With a gift deadline looming, I asked the all-knowledgeable gals for help at my SnB on Thursday. They suggested ripping out and knitting stripes (nope, I'm not frogging my first fair isle), repeating the pattern until I achieve the desired length (no time for that), or knit a big swath of a solid color and do another fair isle section on the other end (good idea ... let's go with that). After knitting a swath of blue, I realized that the dimensions were completely off. The whole piece was too small to function as a placemat. So I threw in the towel and did some "free association" knitting and turning the damned thing into a bag. Mind you, the entire time, my feminist self was hollering about showing up to a 2 year old girls birthday party with a tea set and bag. But ... it's colorful. It's functional. She can throw it against the wall and it won't break. And we bought her a green wooden toy truck for Christmas. So there. Back off you overly p.c. self righteous inner voice.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Super cute! And very nice improvisation. I agree, the girly stuff is best when joined with the not so girly stuff!

Anonymous said...

good work in salvaging the fair isle. the bag is really cute as is the tea set.

Engranon said...

Adorable! I particularly like that the "girly girl" stuff is done in nice, bright colors. No mamby panby pastels! Great recovery on the mat-turned-bag.

Stacy said...

And a bag is so much more useful than a placemat. Grace can tote around her awesome tea set where ever she pleases.