Monday, August 21, 2006

Favorite Things Monday - Lazy Monday

I'm too lazy to tell a Favorite Things story today, because this weekend was the annual camping pilgrimage to celebrate my FIL "Big Time"s birthday. The weekend was great, but without going into extruciating detail, suffice it to say that I'm tired, mosquito-itchy, and everthing in my house is either damp or soaked. The drive was long (5 hours), but the campsite was stunning*! Prior to arrival, I had no idea where we were going. It's Wifey's family's gig, so I just drive and I'm always pleasantly surprised. This year we met at North Hero State Park, which is located on North Hero Island, situated in the northern section of Lake Champlain. Yes, I was very close to Canada, and yes, Wifey and I had long conversations about expatriation. We seriously considered it. Our strategy involved Wifey's Uncle "Big Rock" - the republican boat owner and our nautical guide for the weekend, and the perfect diatribe that would earn us passage to the land of univeral health care, federal marriage rights, mild summers and yarn. Alas, I'm back in Cambridge this morning, part of One Nation Under God. Argh.

While hovered over the 'beacon of hope' lantern, huddled in our tent to avoid the scattered showers downpour, I made progress on my Starry Sky socks. In fact, I'm hoping to post FO pics later this week. Unfortunately I couldn't snap any pix this weekend because our camera battery died and so did Big Time's. Trust me, I looked very Victorian and burned many brain cells wondering how our knitting ancestors managed to create such beautiful items while knitting by candlelight.


*Blogger has apparently upgraded itself over the weekend. I can do lots of crazy things (like bold) directly from the create window. No more HTML tags. Thanks Blogger.

7 comments:

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I'd run away too, but the cold is not friendly to my Virginia-raised body!
=:8

Beth S. said...

Haven't seen you for ages, I figured you were gone for the whole week! ;-)

carrym said...

I have SO wanted to expatriot as well...haven't completely given that thought up yet...and here if I just hike a bit north it wouldn't look much different from home.

I'll probably wait until the next election, but if it gets fubared again, I'm finding a way! ;)

Glad to hear camping was good. Haven't gone since June myself...but will be doing the outdoor thing next weekend...

Ok, now that I've taken up so much room in your comments I'll leave. LOL

Cheryl said...

I've tried the knitting by candlelight thing a few times during our frequent power outages. Very unsuccessful.

Glad you're back!

nina beana said...

camping plus toddler equals bravery.

we've yet to venture into that territory, but hope to next summer.

Nadira said...

I was tempted for a while there, but largely because I've had such good times there. I grew up in Buffalo, which is a border town, and about a 3-hour drive from Toronto, and some of my favorite memories are from various wanderings around Ontario: the Toronto Science Center when I was 8ish, George's Good Food Restaurant in Fort Erie from before I could walk, theater trips to Stratford and Niagara on the Lake with my highschool.

And then there is the Toronto knitting scene...
And two of my favorite dancers are in Montreal...

But then again, you have to pay VAT on yarn.

Hannah said...

Oh, I wish I had known you were there! We were on Grand Isle from Sunday-Wednesday! Hope you had as nice a time as we did.

We thought if we aren't moving to Canada, Vermont would be really nice....