Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mobile Blogging Machine Enabled

Coming to you live from New York City, it's the Mafia and Danielle yarn crawl work conference. Starring Joelle Hoverson and Brian(Bryan?) in the role of Purl Patchwork genuises.

With a bit of pre-conference free time, Danielle and I ran down to Purl Soho and Patchwork. I spent most of my time in Purl Patchwork. I love this place. I wanted to curl up in a corner and have someone pet me with cotton prints. I'd make a great shop cat. Meeeow. You hear that Joelle? And I'm tough too. Mrrrow.Hiss.

Purl - what's not to love?! Turquoise facade. Artfully simple arrangement. Stunning fabrics.





I had a mission. Little Man needs a new quilt. His inherited-from-Wifey store-bought jobby is falling apart. Now that I'm done with the Puma quilt, I can focus on my dear sweet. The plan was to copy the capri stripe quilt from Pottery Barn Kids.

But of course, I was immediately drawn to Heather Ross's amazing whimsical prints. And it was all downhill from there.

Stacking bolts with cutie Brian(Bryan?). He's my new best friend.


With the addition of some very helpful advice from Danielle and Joelle*, Brian(Bryan?) and I decided on these.

*I didn't realize I was in the presence of knitting royalty until we left the store and Danielle said, "how cool is it that Joelle Hoverson helped pick out fabric for your quilt?" Yep. Pretty cool. Also, it's a good thing I didn't know. I would've done something stupid like drool on her.

In addition, Little Man will get two new pairs of summer bum-around pants.
Swimmy Fish.


Dream Bikes.


On the way to NY, we stitched and bitched and pissed off nearby elderly gentlemen who wished for peace. Two words dude - Quiet Car. Go find it. In spite of MonsieurGrumpyPants, there was real progress on my knitting. My Mom's mohair poncho grew.


The Eris collar grew. [yes, I brought an entire cone in my garment bag. I'm a dork.]


The Work Conference ...


provided a nice backdrop for Little Man's socks (yarn from Woolarina). If anyone asks, I most certainly was not knitting during the keynote address.


One final thought - NYC. I miss you.
I lived in NY for a very intense year+ when I was 20-21. I loved it then, and I love it now. Everytime I roll down road or rail into Yonkers and the buildings start to grow, I get this childish little grin, and simultaneously fill with excitement and relax into a sense of home. This is based on many many things, but a significant part is my dear sweet friend Diane, who I was blessed to spend Tuesday night with. And I'll have her again tomorrow night. Wee!


This photo blogging opportunity was brought to you by the letters M, I and T, who believe in 'investing' in their employees. I raise the mobile blogging machine in your honor. MIT rocks.

10 comments:

wenders said...

I fear we are destined never to meet, especially as we were both in the SAME yarn stores in NYC - only days apart from crossing paths.

I will be honest. I did not really enter Purl Patchwork, as my teeny tiny North End apartment does not have the space to support any craft habit other than knitting. And dabbling in embroidering. And maybe some other things. But nothing that requires a machine...

Glad that you a had a good trip!

Alice said...

I've only ever knitted at one, very dull, conference. Much of which was held in very dark rooms which are normally cinemas so no one (well, the speakers) could see. I'm sure I paid more attention BECAUSE I was knitting, but I'd never want the person speaking to see.

maryse said...

i kind of get excited when i go to nyc too. which is something i haven't done in years. must rectify that. one of my closest friends from college lives in brooklyn.

we need a fabric store like purl patchwork in the boston area. what do you think?

carrym said...

Those are some cute squares! I'm sure little man will be pleased with his quilt. :)

And Eris is looking good!

Someday I'll make it back to NY for a visit...it's a fun place to play for a few days.

BerkeleyBecca said...

Mmmm, beautiful fabric. It will make a lovely quilt.

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting Eris, too! Are you doing the pullover or the cardigan? (Mine's the pullover, in a deep green merino. A friend is doing the cardigan in cream alpaca). Your collar is looking very very nice. I'm down in the yoke, now.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to pressure you, but I am living vicariously through your quilting. Such great fabrics!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh I am sooo jealous. All that fabric, colors, cotton, thread ... I get as crazy looking at that as I do yarn fibers. What a terrific shop! Hey, you guys sound like you're having some fun too ... is this a work conference? Enjoy!!

Hannah said...

So jealous. My conference this week was in Washington DC where I live, so there were no new LYSs to visit.

I always knit during meetings, knowing that I daydream if I don't and pay attention if I do. I did deliberately put my knitting bag elsewhere while I presented a paper so I couldn't knit during my own panel...but I later regretted that decision. I wound up thinking about how to structure chapter 11 rather than listening to the brilliant panelist who followed me....

In a couple of weeks I'll be in Philadelphia. Yippee: travel time to knit, some great yarn stores, and my favorite museum.

Emily said...

Wow, great pictures. I would love to see Purl Patchwork. I recently bought that bike fabric too, for my daughter.